Saturday, February 28, 2009

My heart beats because of ions

So today I spent most of the day in the library studying the heart and blood. I'm getting ready for the test coming up. It amazes me how the body works. It usually comes down to chemistry. I never though I would say this but I'm starting to like chemistry. Well organic and biochemistry, mostly biochemistry.

Most people know that the heart uses electrical impulses to contract. Well did you know that the electrical current is spread across the cells by ions that cross the cell membrane and ions that are blocked form crossing. That's it potassium ion channels close and calcium channels open to allow the calcium to enter the cell. That is what excites the cell to make it contract. Its so crazy! I love the human body it really is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment