Thursday, February 19, 2009

What are we fighting for?

So I just watched the movie Horton Hears a Who. It was my the second time I saw it. It is such a good movie. If I had children I would definitely have them watch it. The message is amazing. "A person's a person no matter how small." That phrase is the obvious lesson from the movie, but I think there is another tangent to that lesson. I was amazed at Horton's treatment for Jane the Kangaroo after she was proven wrong. He truly showed that a person is a person no matter how wrong. Even though people wrong us they are people that need love. This is a hard thing to do. I know all can relate to Horton's situation.

Horton's situation got me thinking about what my influence on the world. Its hard to think that one person can make a difference. There is so much that needs to be done to make this world a better place. Its hard to believe that one shipment of food will stop the hunger for a village in the quest to stop world hunger. Or a few boxes of blankets will save a freezing town. Its quite depressing to think that what you are able offer isn't enough.

Then I saw an ad for some non profit organization that reminded me that even if I just help one person that was worth it. The thing to remember is our actions have immediate effects and long term effects, much like anything put in our bodies. When we eat food we have the immediate satisfaction of removing hunger and hopefully the enjoying the stimulation of our senses. The long term effects could be added protein to build muscle, more calcium to store to help prevent osteoporosis, or maybe LDL builds up in your arteries. When we give someone a dollar or two outside of the grocery store we helped to satisfy a small need and started a hopefully infectious characteristic in someone else. As we show others we care they will care and our world will be filled with more love.

I know that there are people who want to put the put the pipe down because I'm being unrealistic. Well I say to them I don't smoke and I am being realistic. Christ saved the world with love and so must we. I know that we won't be able to reach the Utopia that we all desire anytime soon. But like Lunch from Across the Universe said to Jude, "Don't you think its worth trying."

Sometimes we need to focus on the big picture, but when we are trying to save the world we need to focus on small details. As we work on those small details we will create a beautiful portrait of Charity. Charity is what's important. Charity gives hope, passion, fulfillment and purity. So don't forget that no matter how hard it is to do the right thing in the end the right thing will never disappoint you.

1 comment:

  1. your comment on my blog was hilarious! i used a heart one because i've had it and never used it... I also made circle ones, so no big deal. Don't worry, I'll remember to give you not-heart ones next time i'm ambitious.

    And maybe to some people, a butt shape is congruent to love... ? Maybe.

    I love this book. Horton is such a good, loving creature.

    ReplyDelete