Friday, January 29, 2010

Mark the Expected vs. Mark the ???

As I am going through this hell that I have been enduring these past 2-3 years, I wonder if I'll ever recover. I question my full recovery because this despair is all inclusive. The deep depression has paralyzed me figuratively and literally. I have learned a lot throughout this process. I've learned ways to cope and push through. Those skills are useful but only heal the symptoms. In order to go back to a sense of normalcy I need to find a solution. Unfortunately a solution is not written out in plain English. God gave his answers in metaphors and generalizations.
Through out this process of healing I have learned a few things. I first realized that I was constantly engaged in a battle with myself. I learned I was dishonest myself. But the most damaging thing that I have learned is... I'm not sure I know who I am. I had created an alternate identity that was everything I thought was expected. I made others interests my own and took control of my environment.
I know all the generic answers to who I am so please refrain from meaningless cliches like "you are a child of God." Even though the cliche statements are often true they lose their effect by overuse.
When I say I don't know who I am, I'm saying I don't know what makes me unique. My looks make me perfectly unique, but my body doesn't define my soul. What are my likes and dislikes. Are my interests only developed to perfect my facade. Who is Mark the son of Donna and brother to 8. I would like to meet him, to know him and let him live.
Thankfully there are some aspects of my true self that I know and love. I know that I love music. Not that poppy crap filled with cheesy one liners and not even the carefully structured hymns (although some apply). The music that lifts me from the abyss is music with emotion. Music that if filled with tonal poetry. Music that uses poetry to tell a story, express an emotion, or bare the soul. I know that for many people music has the same effect, however for me it my only oasis. Nights like this one music is my savior. It brings back feeling to my numb soul. It expresses what I can't. Music even prevents self injury. Music has helped me escape so many dangerous situations including my death. So tonight to keep my heart beating I will let the lyrics rid my mind of thoughts of self destruction.

1 comment:

  1. Well, in the happy days you loved dancing. What about that? Do you still go often? Maybe learn a new genre of dance, like swing. Are you around any college area coffee shops? They might have some amateur poetry nights. Those are fun and insightful. A lot like Dashboard songs.

    You love cooking. And you are amazing at it. And I still want all of your recipes (that don't take more than 45 minutes to put together, not including cooking) that you love. You are my inspiration in the kitchen. When I'm in a cooking mood, I always ask myself if it's something that you would make and love.

    You are environmentally conscientious. What a fantastic trait! You are doing your best to be a good steward over that which God has given you. So admirable.

    You care so deeply for others. And you know what? We love you back.

    You take good care of yourself, making sure that you stay healthy and active, no matter how you feel. That's like a million times better than I can do.

    This is a huge step to realize that you were lying to yourself. So much courage to realize this. The next step? Self-discovery. While this part feels overwhelming, it can be so much fun. It's your opportunity to try new things - whatever you want! - and see what you love, what you hate, etc. This is the time for adventure and I can't wait to hear all about it.

    Depression is so lonely. I hope you find more things to join music to bring you back to more happiness in your life.

    ReplyDelete