Saturday, March 12, 2011

To Hell with Shoes!

So today I ran the Rex Lee 10k... barefoot. I was nervous because I had never run that far barefoot. My final time was 46:49. I listened to the playlist I titled "To Hell with Shoes." I felt it was appropriate. The playlist included some of my favorites from the Black Keys, Dashboard Confessional, Nelly, Jay-Z and others. I also included a few great catchy pop songs like "My life would suck with you," and "Stop and Stare." I know most runners say your not a real runner if you listen to music but I say nothing just give an unmistakable hand gesture. For me music is an important part of running, just like with any other aspect in my life. Music is my mentor, comfort, support and everything else I may lack.

I wanted to get 45 minutes but thought that was unrealistic. So I changed my goal to under an hour... or at least that's what I told people. My new goal only increased 5 minutes. I wanted to under 50. Good news... I did it. Of coarse I got frustrated with myself because I could have pushed harder. I am not sore now, nor did I through up after the race. So I could have done better. So now I am working on convincing myself that I should be proud of my time. I don't have the talent or running experience as most of the winners.

Next race... I don't know the only one I'm signed up for is the Utah Valley Marathon. However I will be doing the Freedom run. Maybe this time I will place in my division, but really I just hope to get top 10. I was only 2 spots away. Hopefully I will get a medal again like last year... it makes me feel like a winner.

1 comment:

  1. Go The Mark!! You are a winner to us. And we'll plan to come cheer you on this summer, k? Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete