Sunday, July 5, 2009

I'm Sorry You Parents Have Trouble Controling Your Kids, But Don't Put That Evil on Me.

So I volunteered at the Freedom Days on the fourth. I have in the past and I liked it. This time I had a rough day. I'm guessing it was as rough as it was because I didn't eat much that day. So I was first put on duty at the Jumping jungle gym blow up thing. I was just told only 8 at a time. So I formed a line and let 8 in at a time. it took a little while to get it a good organized flow. Once there was a good flow I was asked to man another blow up jungle gym thing. This one was much more chaotic. I was given no instructions. There was no limit to amount of children. So I stood at the end where there was a slide and regulated the kids the best I could. I figured out that I needed to instruct the children to continue the flow and not linger at the end of the slide. Some children would try to climb back up the slide. This was not safe with so many children on the blow up jungle gym thing. I was yelled at parents a lot for other kids behavior. The worst time was when I went up to direct a kid down the slide and prevent him from going backward through the blow up jungle gym thing. Well a father came and yelled at me and told me don't touch my child. While I do understand the father's concern. The father needed to a better job of watching his child. I had called out to his son many times before I attempted to help him. This man was accusing me of wanting to take his child. I was done with being yelled at by parents for their negligence. I told the man I was doing my job. He continued to yell at me. So I told him his son was no longer welcome on the blow up jungle gym things. This was not the only parent who tried to make the blow up jungle gym thing their babysitter. One mother, although she did try to control her kids, allowed her son to go on the blow up jungle gym thing with a bloody foot. So I had to shut it down and disinfect the blow up jungle gym thing. I was hard keeping children off of it because parents kept telling their kids they could go on it. A sarcastic wow is appropriate at this point.
It was very frustrating to be yelled at for volunteering my holiday to help other have a good time for free. I do enjoy serving others but would expect that the parents would be the difficult ones to control. I thought it would be the children, however, it was the children who minded the best. Once again a sarcastic Wow appropriate. After I ate much later in the day, at about 8:30 I felt better about my day and realized I had more fun than frustration. My 4th was a success.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you volunteered. I don't know that I would have. Parents don't understand the bad things they do for some reason. Hopefully we won't become that way - hypnotized by how cute Sean is that we REALLY BELIEVE he can do no wrong. Seeing as I fault-find, I don't anticipate this happening.

    THat's cool that you ran a race. Darn 8 year olds.

    ReplyDelete