Thursday, April 2, 2009

Heart vs. Mind

So tonight I'm blogging while I'm watching scrubs with the sound of rain in the background. Man do I love scrubs! So moving on from scrubs. I saw an old mission buddy today. We talked a lot about politics. We didn't agree to many times. Although we didn't see eye to eye, our discussion was based on logic. He refrained from using the Mormon trump card and personal attacks. I hate when people imply or even say that I am on my way to apostasy. Seriously how can you think political views are doctrine.

Any way he said something really interesting. He said that he hated how liberals used emotion to convince others. I never really thought of it like that. His point made a lot of sense. I thought about it more as the day went on. I came to the conclusion that it just doesn't apply to liberals it also applied to conservatives. Abortion is the best example. Many pro life activists use horrible pictures to play with peoples emotions to say others. Another example is the Iraq war, many who strongly support the war. Talk about the humanitarian aid and government structure we are providing in Iraq.

As I thought about it my friends theory longer. I realized that emotion is good when making decisions. The problem is not that emotion is involved in a decision, the problem is when one only uses emotion in a decision. When we only act with our emotions completely we do not use logic and often make poor decisions. I also think that if we void our decisions of emotion we are also at high risk of making a poor decision. Without emotion we loose our human nature. We loose compassion.

I can't help but think that our purpose here on earth is to learn how to make the best decisions. Christ was so compassionate towards others because he had emotion. His emotion affected his decisions. Shouldn't we trust our emotions as well. However Jesus also used his logic just as often. Our emotions are what make us human. Is it really that bad to void our decisions of simple humanity? I don't think so. We need to use our compassion to help others and our logic to decide on the best way we can help.

1 comment:

  1. kudos to you my friend!
    on your way to apostasy?
    ha ha
    we dont agree on politics but i'm glad your opinions are informed ones

    ReplyDelete