Monday, April 25, 2011

Goodbye I'll Miss You...


So today was an emotional day for me. The emotion was building up from the beginning of finals. I had to say good bye to my group therapy gang, but fortunately we decided to say in touch. Then finals of coarse are a stressful time. Then once it was all over my roommates left. They either moved out or went home for the weekend. I quickly got bored. I had gotten all the cleaning and organizing done by friday afternoon. So saturday I realized I was where I was a year ago, I had free time but no one to spend it with. Today Devin was going to bless his daughter Lydia. I attended the blessing but came a little late and sat in the back. As I was sitting surrounded by couples I realized this was my future in two years. The loneliness continued to increase. Then my mind wandered to the fact that Devin and Ashley were leaving.

Devin has been there for me over the past few years. He took me to the hospital when I attempted suicide, he has held my wallet when I didn't feel like I could fight the temptation to drink. One taste of the being drunk could turn me into an alcoholic. He was there to listen offer guidance, validation and comfort. So naturally I was dreading loosing his support. Tonight I gave him a letter the talked about things I wanted to say to him for a while but never got the courage to say them. After he read the letter he called me and asked me over to talk. Because of some of the things I disclosed in the letter I was afraid our friendship would end. I was terrified of his response. I was so glad he asked me to come over and talk. I was able to release so much emotion and abandon fears. We cried together as we discussed the letter. The tears for me were full of pain and his were full of comfort.

The chat with him and his wife was what I needed. I am so thankful for his friendship, acceptance and brotherly love. I will miss him and his family significantly. So here is my homage to him. Devin thank you. You are a great person who will bless many lives. I am so glad that you have blessed my life. You have made my journey through this pain I face more bearable. Your acceptance has helped me start to accept myself. Thank you, I will miss our workouts, the dinners, and our chats. The good news is I know that you accept all of me and this distance won't ruin the friendship we share. I just realized this sounds like I'm saying goodbye to him because of death... but he is just moving. The good news is he is only a phone call away, or a text if he ever starts texting.

This Easter was by no means like any other. It wasn't focused on tradition by any means. However it was full of spiritual experiences. I also had a great chat with my sister on the phone. Today is one of the days I have felt God's love for me. I hope I will continue to feel his love. If tomorrow I wake up depressed then I hope I can keep this feeling in mind to get me through until the next experience where I feel God's love for me.

1 comment:

  1. Mark, I just want to say this post was beautiful. I really understood what you meant about your friend devin as I too have a very dear friend close to me out here who is leaving and is the same. One thing I wanted to point out is that when I lived in Utahh and was suicidal and etc you were always the person I turned to. You always made me feel comforted and loved when I felt I didnt deserve it. So I just wanted to say Im sure that Devin gained much from your friendship as you did from his. Cause I know I learned a hell of alot from you. I love you and remeber I too am only a phone call away! :-) LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete