Sunday, May 29, 2011

When Singing About it I'm Starting to Doubt it

I went to a concert last night to see this band Book on Tapeworm. Weird name I know. Any way I was chatting it up with this photographer. While were discussing our musc tastes she asked why I like so many depressing artists. The easy answer is that people usually want music that compliments my mood. Since I am usually in a depressed mood, its cathartic to listen to somber music. I also love sad movies for that same reason.

As I have thought about it more today I think that is because I have masked these intense emotions most of my life so I am making up. Then my thoughts brought me to the conclusion that its the genuine nature of the lyrics. The amount of vulnerability that it takes to open up through music attracts me.

So I will turn up my Dashboard and sing my heart out to Rocky Votolato. I will tear up while listening to the Cranberries. I will reflect when Regina is elegant chords. If you need some good ol' fashion depressing music, I'm your man. I know where the poetic lyrics are and the emotionally charged notes.

So I will leave you with some words from one of my favorite songs. This song will take you back. No Need to Argue by the Cranberries. This song is about a lost relationship, or at least that's my interpretation. I makes me think of the lost relationship I had with my father. Even though I don't ever remember ever having a good one, I assume it wasn't all bad in the beginning. I was the answer to his prayers, his first son. It seems like our relationship will never grow past pleasantries. I always figured it would end up this way with him but I gave an honest try.


There's no need to argue anymore.
I gave all I could, but it left me so sore.
And the thing that makes me mad,
Is the one thing that I had,

I knew, I knew,
I'd lose you.
You'll always be special to me,
Special to me, to me.

And I remember all the things we once shared,
Watching T.V. movies on the living room armchair.
But they say it will work out fine.
Was it all a waste of time.

'Cause I knew, I knew,
I'd lose you.
You'll always be special to me,
Special to me, to me.

Will I forget in time, ah,
You said I was on your mind?
There's no need to argue,
No need to argue anymore.
There's no need to argue anymore.

PS the Title is a lyric from Emily Brown... Try to figure out which song.

No comments:

Post a Comment